Creating engaging content is the first step but getting that content to your audience customers is the most crucial step. Domains serve as an address that your customers can use to find your published content. In Acoustic Content, the default domain content-us#.content-cms.com is where all your marketing content is published.
You might prefer to publish your content to a custom domain, specific to your brand or organization, such as www.mycompany.com. Publishing to your custom domain helps new visitors and internet search engines easily find your content. You can also build your brand awareness and build credibility.
Having a custom domain also makes it easier for you to access your Content subscription, the published content, and the delivery APIs for your subscription under your custom domain base URLs. For example, you can access Acoustic Content APIs and resources from your domain, www.greenwheels.com, instead of the Acoustic provided default domain.
Note: After you assign your first custom domain name, your initial content-us#.content-cms.com domain is no longer accessible. For example, old bookmarks with the old URL will no longer work. From that point on, all base URLs of your subscription changes to your new domain.
Add your custom domain name
When you add a custom domain name to Acoustic Content, the domain name is automatically configured and replicated through all Acoustic Content CDN servers. Adding one or more custom domains to your subscription is a multi-step process. You can complete the process by following the Acoustic Content UI, which guides you through the necessary individual steps.
To add your custom domain:
- Go to Admin> Settings > Domains.
- Provide the Fully Qualified Domain Name to be added and click Add. For example, www.greenwheels.com.
Note: You must accept the privacy statement before you can proceed.
- Provide your domain information to be placed into the SSL certificate for your domain. Complete all the required fields in the Certificate, Company, and Contact tabs. This step is only required when you add the first domain to your subscription or when you want to modify the SSL certificate information.
Note: The SSL certificate information that you provide is reused for any new subsequent custom domain names that you add to Acoustic Content.
- Click Activate and submit confirmation to begin the activation process. Acoustic Content configures and replicates the domain name through all Acoustic Content CDN servers.
Note: You will not be able to edit any information once the activation process begins.
A progress indicator appears on the form to show the progress of a new domain name activation. The certificate creation process runs in the background and can take up to 1 hour to complete. Refresh the page to see the status update. The new domain name is added to the Current domain names section when updates are complete.
Enable SSL support for your custom domain name
You now need to adjust the DNS configuration for your new domain name to allow the SSL certificate authority to validate your new Acoustic Content SSL certificate.
- Use the management interfaces provided by your DNS provider to map your new domain name and the corresponding preview domain name to the draft edge hostname. You can get your draft edge from the Acoustic Content UI. The preview domain name is derived from your domain name by adding a -preview suffix to the hostname of your domain name. For example, when you add a new domain name www.greenwheels.com you need to add the following CNAME mappings in your DNS configuration:
- www.greenwheels.com to certs.dx-wch.ibm.com.edgesuite.net
- www-preview.greenwheels.com to certs.dx-wch.ibm.com.edgesuite.net
- After you create the CNAME mappings, return to Admin > Settings > Domains and click Enable SSL. During the Enable SSL process, Acoustic Content validates that all CNAME mappings are available and then validates the certificate in the background. The validation process can take multiple hours to complete. You can click the Refresh link to check for status updates. After successful certificate validation, continue to Activate SSL configuration.
Activate SSL configuration
You now need to adjust the DNS configuration for your new domain name to point to your secured Acoustic Content production servers.
- Use the management interfaces provided by your DNS provider to remap your new domain name and the corresponding preview domain name from the draft edge hostname to the secure edge hostname. You can get your secure edge hostname from the Acoustic Content UI.
For example, when you add a new domain name www.greenwheels.com you need to add the following CNAME mapping in your DNS configuration:
- www.greenwheels.com to 1.xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx.content-cms.com.edgekey.net
- www-preview.greenwheels.com to 1.xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx.content-cms.com.edgekey.net
- After you create the CNAME mappings, return to Acoustic Content > Admin > Settings > Domains and click Activate SSL configuration. During the Activate SSL configuration process, Acoustic Content validates that the updated CNAME mapping is available and activates the secure mapping from your custom domain name to your Acoustic Content production servers. The activation can run for multiple hours. You can click the Refresh link to check for status updates. After successful activation, your new domains are now fully operational. All requests to those domains are now routed through the Akamai CDN to your Acoustic Content subscription.
Add more domain names
Acoustic Content provides support for multiple custom domain names as an add-on subscription. You will be able to add five custom domain names for each add-on subscription. You can add up to 50 custom domain names per subscription. The process is similar to adding your first domain name except that you need not reenter your SSL information.
Set a default domain name
Acoustic Content requires a default domain to be available. The first custom domain is the default for your subscription. You can always change the default domain later when you add more custom domains.
The URLs in the API information modal have the default domain. This default domain is also added as CN (common name) to the certificate for your subscription.
Note: When you change the default domain, the SSL certificate must be regenerated. Your site becomes inaccessible while the certificate validation and activation process are running.
Edit domain names
Editing an existing custom domain deletes the old and adds the updated one and follows the same flow as adding a 2nd domain name.
Note: Changes to the default domain name require you to remove the DNS mappings. These changes may take one or more hours to complete. The published content and delivery APIs will not be accessible until the changes are complete.
Remove domain names
When you want to remove domain names, you first must delete all CNAME mappings for the domains. You cannot remove custom domains mapped to a site. You must first un-map this site from the domain name that you want to remove.
Manage domain name for a site
The associated domain names for a site are visible within the site settings UI. As an admin, you can view, manage - add, or remove - associated domain names so that you have control of the custom domain names used for a site.