Your content is ready and you just published it. In Acoustic Content, by default, your content is published to a default Acoustic provided domain https://content-xx-n.content-cms.com.
Do you prefer to publish your content to your very own web domain that your customers are familiar with? Publishing to your own web domain helps new visitors and internet search engines easily find your website.
Having your own domain also makes it easier for you to access your hub, the published content, and the delivery APIs for your org under your own web domain base URLs. For example, you can access Acoustic Content APIs and resources from your domain, wch.greenwheels.com, instead of the Acoustic provided domain.
To add your own domain, you must have the Standard edition of Acoustic Content. You get the ability to add one custom domain name with your subscription to the Standard edition.
Adding your custom domain name
You can add and manage domain names for your hub from Settings >Administration > Domains. When you add a custom domain name to Acoustic Content, the domain name is automatically configured and replicated through all Acoustic Content CDN servers. Adding one or more custom domains to your org is a long-running, multi-step process. You can complete the process by following the Acoustic Content UI, which guides you through the necessary individual steps.
- Provide the full domain names (Fully Qualified Domain Name) to be added. For example, www.greenwheels.com.
- Provide your domain information to be placed into the SSL certificate for your domain. This step is only required when you add the first domain to your hub or when you want to modify the SSL certificate information.
- Adjust the DNS CNAME mappings for your domain as needed for the SSL certificate validation step. The SSL certificate validation is automatically completed by Acoustic Content.
- After successful certificate validation, you must adjust the DNS CNAME mapping for your domain a second time for mapping your domain to your Acoustic Content production servers.
Note: After you assign your first custom domain name, your initial https://content-xx-n.content-cms.com domain is no longer accessible. For example, old bookmarks with the old URL will no longer work. From that point on, all base URLs of your org changes to your new domain.
Adding your first domain name
To add your first domain name (or set of domain names) complete the following steps.
- To add a fully qualified domain name (FQDN), go to Settings > Administration > Domain names. Add your custom domain name that you own in the Fully qualified domain name field. For example, wch.greenwheels.com.
- After you add and save the fully qualified domain name, the certificate information dialog opens to set the SSL configuration for your custom domain name.
Note: The SLL certificate information that you provide is reused for any new subsequent custom domain names that you add to Acoustic Content.
- Provide the certificate information for your custom domain name and save your settings. Click OK in the confirmation dialog and Acoustic Content configures and replicates the domain name through all Acoustic Content CDN servers.
- The certificate creation process runs in the background and can take up to 1 hour to complete. You can click the Refresh link to check for status updates. After successful validation, continue to Enable SSL.
Enabling SSL support for your custom domain name
You now need to adjust the DNS configuration for your new domain names to allow the SSL certificate authority to validate your new Acoustic Content SSL certificate.
- Use the management interfaces provided by your DNS provider to map all your new domain names and the corresponding preview domain names to the draft edge hostname. You can get your draft edge from the Acoustic Content UI.
The preview domain names are derived from your domain names by adding a -preview suffix to the hostname of your domain name. For example, when you add two new domain names wch.greenwheels.com and www.greenwheels.com you need to add the following CNAME mappings in your DNS configuration:
www.greenwheels.com to certs.dx-wch.ibm.com.edgesuite.net
www-preview.greenwheels.com to certs.dx-wch.ibm.com.edgesuite.net
wch.greenwheels.com to certs.dx-wch.ibm.com.edgesuite.net
wch-preview.greenwheels.com to certs.dx-wch.ibm.com.edgesuite.net
- After you create the CNAME mappings, return to Settings >Administration > Domain names and click Enable SSL. During the Enable SSL process, Acoustic Content validates that all CNAME mappings are available and then validates the certificate in the background. The validation process can take multiple hours to complete. You can click the Refresh link to check for status updates. After successful certificate validation, continue to Activate SSL configuration.
Activate SSL configuration
You now need to adjust the DNS configuration for your new domain names to point to your secured Acoustic production servers.
- Use the management interfaces provided by your DNS provider to remap all your new domain names and the corresponding preview domain names from the draft edge hostname to the secure edge hostname. You can get your secure edge hostname from the Acoustic Content UI.
For example, when you add two new domain names wch.greenwheels.com and www.greenwheels.com you need to add the following CNAME mappings in your DNS configuration:
www.greenwheels.com to 1.xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx.dx-wch.ibm.com.edgekey.net
www-preview.greenwheels.com to 1.xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx.dx-wch.ibm.com.edgekey.net
wch.greenwheels.com to 1.xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx.dx-wch.ibm.com.edgekey.net
wch-preview.greenwheels.com to 1.xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx.dx-wch.ibm.com.edgekey.net
- After you create the CNAME mappings, return to Acoustic Content Settings > Administration > Domain names and click Activate SSL configuration. During the Activate SSL configuration process, Acoustic Content validates that all updated CNAME mappings are available and activate the secure mapping from your custom domain names to your Acoustic Content production servers. The activation can run for multiple hours. You can click the Refresh link to check for status updates. After successful activation, your new domains are now fully operational. All requests to those domains are now routed through the Akamai CDN to your Acoustic Content tenant.
Adding more domain names
Multi custom domain names support is provided as an add-on subscription. You will be able to add five custom domain names for each add-on subscription. You can add up to 50 custom domain names per tenant from Settings > Administration > Domain names. The process is similar to adding your first domain name except that you need not reenter your SSL information.
Setting a default domain name
The default domain name is the domain that is presented as the default domain for your hub in various API information dialogs. This domain is also added as CN (common name) to the certificate for your hub. There always must be a default domain for your hub. When you create the initial set of domains for your hub, you must set the default domain. You can always change the default domain later.
Note: When you change the default domain, the SSL certificate must be regenerated. Your site becomes inaccessible while the certificate validation and activation process are running.
Removing domain names
When you want to remove domain names, the Acoustic Content UI leads you through this process. You first must delete all CNAME mappings for the domains to be deleted. You cannot remove a domain that is mapped to the site. You must first unmap this site from the domain name that you want to remove.
Note: You cannot delete a custom domain name that is associated with a site.
Manage domain name for a site
The associated domain names for a site are visible within the site settings UI. As an admin, you can view, manage - add, or remove - associated domain names so that you have control of the custom domain names that are used for a site.