Whenever you create an A/B test with multiple variants, it’s important to determine how you want the traffic to be distributed between the variants. Manual Traffic allocation helps you control how much of your eligible visitor traffic enters an A/B test.
In Acoustic Personalization, traffic allocation is the percentage of available traffic that enters your A/B test.
You can split the percentage of traffic among different variants. A 10/30/35/25 (Control Group / Variant1 / Varaint2 / Variant3) traffic allocation means approximately 10% of your visitors see the default content and approximately 90% see the variant.
Need for traffic allocation
Traffic Allocation in A/B test is useful when, you are not confident of the A/B test being run. In this case, you can run A/B test with a few users (10%) and check the results. You can then modify the traffic allocation percentages in your A/B test, and repeat the test to find the right fit for your needs.
Traffic allocation in Acoustic Personalization
- Use manual traffic allocation to send all the visitors to the "winning" variant of your A/B test. For more information about setting winning variant, see Set the winning content
- Traffic distribution expresses a probability that visitors are placed into a particular test group. If you have three test groups and the traffic is split to 10/30/35/25, each new visitor has a 30% chance of being placed into Test group1. The actual number of visitors who see the Test group1 content may not exactly match the 30% probability.
- You cannot change the traffic allocation percentages after you publish your A/B test.
Example: If you enter three content variants in your rule, and you observe that Test group 2 (variant) performs better than others(Test group1, Test group3) on your channel. Then, you can decide to direct all your visitors henceforth to this winning variant (Test group2). In this case, you can edit the A/B test and increase the traffic for this variant(Test group2).
Set traffic allocation in Acoustic Personalization
To set traffic allocation manually:
- Go to Zone details page.
- In the Content personalization pane, click New rule.
- In the Select the personalization type pop up, click A/B test, and then click Next.
- Click Configure A/B test. After you set the number of content variants, you can allocate the percentages to each of the test groups.
- In the Control traffic field, enter the percentage of visitors who will see the default content. Then, manually split the percentage in the other fields(Test traffic 1 up to Test traffic10), who will see the variant content. Ensure that the percentage for each test traffic is within the range 1 - 99.
Note The total traffic allocation must be equal to 100%.