You can use scenarios to learn to use Social Audiences. The scenarios explain some typical use cases for using Social Audiences and how to accomplish those use cases.
Scenario: Increase Facebook audience reach
In the following scenario, Evan wants to increase CityCool's reach on Facebook.
Evan currently uses Facebook to reach customers, but he wants to increase CityCool's reach on Facebook to attract new customers. By targeting people that look and behave like CityCool's current customers, Evan can grow CityCool's Facebook audience reach.
Evan uses the standard version of Social Audiences on Acoustic Campaign.
Part 1: How do I create a targeted Facebook campaign?
To increase CityCool's reach on Facebook, Evan collaborates with Anthony, CityCool's Customer Data Analyst. They know that Facebook campaigns are more successful when audiences are targeted. Evan and Anthony decide to target the new audience based on connections and interests.
- Evan creates a new campaign by clicking Campaigns > Create a Campaign from the top navigation menu.
- One of the targeting options Evan is using is connections, so he selects an existing account to establish a connection. Evan clicks the Accounts tab and selects his existing ad account from the list.
- To maximize CityCool's reach in this campaign, Evan selects Promote your Page and clicks Next.
- Because Evan wants to target based on connections and interests, he selects to Include these targeting options. Evan also makes sure to Exclude the other targeting options.
- Evan sets the budget and schedule and clicks Next.
- Carlos, the Creative Manager for CityCool created an image for this new campaign and sent it to Evan. Evan navigates to the location of the image on his workstation, selects the image, and clicks Open.
- After he reviews the campaign, Evan clicks Create. The campaign is created. Evan informs Anthony so he is ready to analyze the new data that the new campaign generates.
Part 2: Targeting a lookalike audience
After Evan creates the targeted campaign, he needs to create a targeted lookalike audience to reach new people that share characteristics of CityCool's existing customers.
Creating a lookalike audience allows Evan's campaign to reach new people that are similar to CityCool's existing customers.
- From the top navigation menu, Evan clicks Audiences and selects Create a lookalike audience.
- Evan names the audience Increase reach and in the description, brief details are added.
- CityCool is a US-based company with US customers. Evan selects United States as the Source country.
- Because Evan wants to target people that share characteristics of CityCool's existing customers, he adjusts the Similarity percentage by sliding the scale to the left.
- Evan clicks Create and the lookalike audience is created.
Scenario: Improve advertising strategy
In the following scenario, Evan, the channel owner for CityCool, wants to target advertisements to better reach specific audiences.
Currently, CityCool uses generic, one-size-fits-all advertisements that encompass its entire audience. Evan needs help creating a more personalized experience to better tailor messages to specific customer behavior and social media interactions. Evan's advertising efforts focus on providing more relevant content on the correct social platform for each of his consumers. Evan also wants to analyze the effectiveness of these advertisements.
Manage and analyze Facebook ads
You are a marketer who wants to analyze the effectiveness of a Facebook advertisement that targets people who have opted-in to receive CityCool emails, but did not respond to previous email offers.
Evan uses the standard version of Social Audiences on Acoustic Campaign. He uses the following steps to manage his Facebook ads.
- Evan logs in to and defines a query, Email Non-Responders - Target on FB, with his criteria (opted-in on email but not responded to a previous email offer) and then runs it.
- Evan browses to Social Audiences and creates a new audience based on his query by clicking Audiences then Create an Audience.
- Evan inputs the following information within the Create an audience screen:
- The businesses’ Facebook account
- The type of audience that he wants to target
- The producer (source for data)
- A segment to syndicate
- An Acoustic Exchange database
- A column
- The name of the audience and a brief description of it
- The export frequency
- The audience is then exported to the specified Facebook account.
- Evan logs in to the Facebook ad account, creates the new advertisement, and associates the audience to this ad. He initiates the advertisement, logs out, and resumes his daily routine.
In a couple of hours, Evan opens Social Audiences again to see how many of the 50,000 emails were matched on Facebook. The match rate is 98%.
- The next day, Evan logs in to Social Audiences and clicks the Metrics tab to see how the advertisement is doing. From here, he can view Clicks, Impressions, and Results.
- Evan, while happy with the results, wants to target more people. He adds this segment from Acoustic Campaign to this audience so the advertisement can target them.
Over the next couple of days, the CPM and CPCs are much better on this group than what Evan was getting in the email. In the future, Evan can run the same ad (and audience) across social media platforms and review its performance through Social Audiences to make more informed decisions about CityCool’s advertisement strategy.