Segments limit your report to the sessions that match your criteria. You can apply segments to a new or saved report.
- Perform relational analysis - For example, of the visitors who arrive at your website through an email campaign and view three or more pages in a session, which conversion events do they complete?
- Understand affinities - For example, of the visitors who view products within the Fishing category, what other product categories do they view during a session?
- Understand visitor personas - For example, engaged visitors, Google users, sports enthusiasts, etc.
To add segments to your report, select the Edit icon in the Segments section of the report menu pane. The Search segments modal opens. Select or search whichever metrics you want to restrict your data with; the information icons (i) give descriptions of each segment. When you are done selecting your segments, select Apply, and generate your report to see the results.
Within the segment list, you can edit, copy as new, or delete segments. Just select the Edit icon next to the segment you want to modify.
Creating your own additional segments is easy! Simply select Create a new segment from the Search segments modal. Create a name and choose or create a category for your new segment. Decide which tracking mode you want for this segment and add all your necessary criteria. Don't forget to select Save to finish.
You have three options for session tracking:
- Same Session - Includes all sessions that match the specified criteria during the reporting time range.
- Cross Session - Includes all sessions from visitors during the reporting time range that match the specified criteria between the selected dates. This segment type is not available for reports that use data that is imported in a registration-based data extension file. You must also select the time range (Same period as report, Prior period to report, or Custom date range) for this segment type.
- Multi-Channel - Includes both online and offline activity of registered customers only. Like the Cross Session segment type, you must also select the time range (Same period as report, Prior period to report, or Custom date range) for this segment type.