Use universal behaviors (UB) to capture information about all mobile app interactions between the Acoustic Campaign platform and mobile app users. This section explains:
- Tasks you'll need to complete before you begin
- The relationship between universal behaviors and SDKs
- How to get mobile app UB event data using queries
Note: Mobile Push Notifications and Mobile App Messages may be used interchangeably.
Before You Begin
Before you create a UB event query to find mobile app data, you must complete these requirements:
- Create and register the mobile app and add it to Acoustic Campaign. See the Developer article for details.
- Organization must be push-enabled.
- Universal Behaviors must be provisioned for the organization. This should automatically occur when your organization is enabled for Mobile App Messages.
- User must be mobile app-enabled.
- Use a flexible database that is mobile app-enabled and has Mobile App Messages custom field. See Set up the Mobile App Messages Database for details.
- Understand the relationship between Universal Behaviors and SDKs.
For more information about Universal Behaviors, see Universal Behaviors.
Relationship between Universal Behaviors and SDKs
The iOS and Android SDKs send events to the MCE servers to indicate that certain actions related to your mobile app have happened. Some of these events get translated into Universal Behaviors (UB) that are sent to the Acoustic servers.
These events are all treated the same within the MCE system and generate an API call that gives a metric or report. A metric is something that is counted and recorded, and metrics for push notifications are recorded. Events are not generated internally for sending push notifications because the server sends a large amount. When the MCE server is finished handling the event, it is passed to the Acoustic translation layer, which is a piece of the system that knows how to transform each event it receives into a Universal Behavior. The translation layer forwards it to Acoustic Campaign through their APIs. Of all of the events that are received, only a well-defined subset is recognized and forwarded to Acoustic.
See Software Development Kit's for Apple iOS and Android for more information.
Create UB event queries using mobile app criteria
You can build a query with mobile app interactions in Acoustic Campaign's Queries or Programs to find mobile push data.
- Go to Data > Queries > Create.
- Select your push-enabled database, name your query, and then click OK.
- Click Behavior and select Universal Behavior.
- Select one of the behaviors for your push contact(s).
- Click Done.
- Now you can build your criteria based on select attributes. Event types may have different attributes. See the individual event type for details.
Note: Note that not all events are enabled by default. More details are available under each event.