Add program settings
The Edit programs settings page is your one-stop shop to your new program settings or making changes to an existing program. You can adjust default program settings such as the program name, time zone, entrance criteria and frequency, repeats, send windows, and start and end dates on this page. Before you can activate any program, you'll need to add a contact source to your program with this page.
Note: Unless you assign a contact source for your program, program options are limited. Without a contact source, you can only drag and drop any item from the palette, name the program, name and connect or disconnect steps, name update profile and decision paths and set percentage paths and exits.
- Name the program.
- View or edit the program notes.
- Select a time zone. It automatically defaults to your time zone, but can be changed if the target audience is in a different location. Messages are sent based on this setting.
- Assign a tag(s) for the emails sent from this program. In Reports, you are able to use the tag to obtain information about all emails that are associated with programs.
- Select the Program approved for sales option to allow sales or marketing teams to add contacts using Contact insight in Salesforce. This way, contacts that are not fulfilling the program entry criteria can be added manually. When this option is not selected, the program is not listed in Contact insight.
- Select a contact source: database or a query (recommended). Once selected, the parent database is permanently assigned to the program, but you can change the query. When a query is selected as a contact source, the program makes a copy of that query to preserve the current criteria as of that day and time. Unsupported query types do not display.
- Select the entrance criteria for your program:
- Add all contacts from the contact source: Select Once when the program is started to add all qualifying contacts into the program at first activation or Continuously while the program is active to add all currently qualifying contacts and periodically check for new ones. If your program is using the second option, keep in mind that the program requires at least 20 minutes after the last import job before the new contacts are enrolled. Also, make sure you are aware of any import processes to that database both through the Acoustic Campaign UI and API because these processes might need to be adjusted for program efficiency.
- Allow contacts to repeat program: When selected, contacts can repeat a program an unlimited number of times. If this field is not selected, a recipient is not able to repeat the program even if they again match the campaign's entry condition. Contacts must exit before they can re-enter a program.
- Add contacts when the following events occur: Choose the behavioral action a contact must perform before they are added to the program. More than one event can be selected, but contacts can only qualify for one event at a time:
- Opted in to a database
- Clicked link in an email
- Submitted a web form
- Downloaded a file
- Custom web tracking event
- Universal behaviors
- Do not automatically add contacts to this program: This entrance option stops contacts from being automatically entered into a program. When selected, the other options are disabled. Use this in conjunction with Program approved for sales to only allow contacts to be manually added to a program via Contact insight or to only allow contacts to be entered via the API using AddContactstoProgramAPI.
- Determine when message sends occur.
- Only send messages between the hours of: Select the hours in which emails are sent. If a contact arrives at a step outside of these hours, messages are held and scheduled for the next available time window. This setting is not honored for the first message in an event-triggered program or if Send Time Optimization (STO) history exists.
- Only send messages on weekdays: Send emails only during the week. If a contact arrives at a step over the weekend, messages are scheduled for the next weekday. This setting does not work for the first message in an event-triggered program or if STO history exists.
- Specify the run dates of the program.
- Start program on: The date contacts begin entering your program. Scheduled future dates begin at 12:01 AM that day. If left blank, the current date is populated when the program is activated.
- Last contact added on: The date after which contacts can no longer be added to the program. Use this feature if your program has an end date or time sensitive goal to ensure that contacts have enough time to complete the program.
- End program on: When you set up a program, if you choose to end the program by a specific date, the program does not run on that specified day. For example, you choose to have the program end on 9/6/2019, the program ends at midnight on 9/5/2019 and therefore does not run on 9/6/2019.
Although the program does not run after midnight of the end date, it completes all actions in progress. For example, contacts are pulled into the program at 11:30 PM the night before the end date and makes it to the email step just before midnight (i.e. 11:58 PM). The email does send. Any action that is in progress before the end date of a program does complete execution.
Note: The universal behavior option only displays when the selected contact source is associated with UB events.
Using queries as your contact source
To target relevant contacts and create the most tailored setup rules for your program, we recommend using a query of your database.
Queries must be saved in a shared folder. Programs supports queries that contain:
- Profile data
- Relational table criteria
Programs does not yet support use of queries that contain:
- Universal behaviors (UB) event criteria
- Child relational tables
- Aggregate tables
- In-queries (i.e. queries that contain other queries, except locked queries)
Contacts that opted out can reenter your program, but consent is reevaluated at the step level to prevent unsolicited sends. You can use queries along with event-triggered criteria such as universal behavior (UB) events.
When a query is selected as a contact source, the program makes a copy of that query to preserve the current criteria as of that day and time. The copy ensures the original query is protected if another user changes that query outside of the program. The query does not update automatically if changes are made – to update, you need to deactivate the program and reselect the query.
Setting up rules for program entrance criteria
To ensure only the best-matching contacts enter your program, set up rules that contain profile data, contact lists, SMS, or mobile app channel consent. Using a query as your contact source with these criteria works in the same way.
- Choose Limit to contacts that match rule.
- Click the Setup rule link to open the rule builder and choose which actions trigger the program to add a contact.
- Set up your rule. Select Profile or CRM opportunities.
- Profile: Select either the Data fields or the Contact list option. Data fields allow you to create a query from one or more fields within the database. Contacts list offers the option to select a contact that is or is not in a specific contact list.
- CRM opportunities: This option only displays when a CRM database is selected for the program.