Mobile app messaging in programs
Many customer groups, especially millennials and younger, carry their phones everywhere. By sending mobile app messages in your program, you can reach users with a personalized message at the right time.
Mobile app messages published in the Mobile Send Experience can be used in the classic and programs interfaces. Before you can associate mobile content to a step in your program, make sure you:
- Have a database enabled for mobile in your organization.
- Prepared and published the mobile app message content in the Mobile Send Experience.
- Included Mobile Universal Behavior events in the mobile app message enablement process.
Note: Each organization can only have one mobile database.
- Enabled the program users (by the org admin).
- Created apps and app groups.
A mobile app message-enabled user creates the message draft, including tags, and saves the draft to add it to a program in the mobile app.
The following mobile app message types are available for use in programs:
- Simple + Inbox
- Simple + Data extensions
- Simple + Inbox + Data extensions
Add a mobile app message to a program
- Open a program.
- Click Settings.
- Choose a contact source by selecting a mobile-enabled database or query of that database.
- Select Add contacts when the following events occur: and choose a behavior. This will have contacts enter the program based on the behaviors you select.
Note: For program entry, you can select any query containing profile, channel, behavioral, or relational table criteria as well as mobile app event-based triggers. To use a query as contact source, the query (or query criteria) cannot contain: child relational table (CRT), universal behaviors, and aggregate relational tables.
- Click Add behavior and choose the behavior type you want to add. If you go for universal behaviors, configure them first.
- To specify an app within the app group for UB attributes, you need to retrieve the app key from your mobile app developer.
- Device Location Awareness (DLA) events are also available. Check out the Device Location Awareness section to learn more.
- Click Save and edit flow to return to the program flow.
- Drag a step resource to the programs canvas.
- Select Click to configure to add the step details. If you are using a Placeholder step, select the Actions pull-down to choose Send mobile app message.
- Click Configure.
- Select the app group that your published message is associated with, choose your mobile app message from the list, and click Select.
- The Configure mobile app message window opens with the details associated with the selected mobile app message draft. The content details configured in the mobile app message draft for the selected mobile app message are not editable, except for the delivery name (which is shown in Reports).
Note: Included tags do not display on the Configure mobile app message page or in the Insight panel.
- Click Apply to finalize the configuration and save. After the Step is configured, the delivery name and settings are locked, however the step can be edited. To edit a mobile app message in your program, first update the mobile app message in the Send Experience and republish the message. Then in your Programs step, select the Change option and reselect the newly updated mobile app message.
Note: A program can be activated with unconfigured steps. This allows for incremental building and testing. Contacts that arrive at unconfigured steps in an active program will stop there until the step is configured.
- After activation, you can change to another message. Deactivate the program, launch step configuration, and click the mobile app message Change link to select a new message.
- When the mobile app message is sent, tags included during the message creation process are added to any program level tags.
- For information about setting frequency limits for a mobile app step, check out Setting frequency limits article. (Not available in Classic programs.)
There are several ways to obtain data on the number of contacts that have been sent a mobile app message within a program. Mobile Reporting stores data on all sends.
Edit the mobile app message in a program
To update a mobile app message within a program, you need to stop the program and reconfigure the mobile app message.
- In Acoustic Campaign, go to Mobile > Message drafts.
- Select the published mobile app message that you want to update.
- Make your updates and republish the message.
- Go to Automation > Programs. Deactivate the program that is associated with the updated mobile app message.
- Go to the mobile app message step and click Configure. Next, to the interaction drop down, click Configure again. Click the Change link next to the mobile app message name.
- Select the new mobile app message and click Done.
- Select Apply to save.
- Select Apply again on the Configure step screen.
- Activate the program.