You can select a published SMS message that is associated with one or more SMS Text to join programs and use it to configure a program step. This allows SMS clients to automate their SMS message sends. You can associate only one SMS message to each step, that same message can be incorporated in multiple programs.
Before you associate SMS content to a step in your program, make sure you complete the following steps:
- Enable SMS for your organization and database including SMS universal behavior events.
Note: The SMS step only displays if the attached database or query is enabled for SMS.
- Set up the SMS Text to join program in mGage.
- Prepare and publish SMS content in the Mobile Send Experience.
- The mobile SMS admin configures the SMS campaigns and program types in the SMS campaign manager.
- The SMS content creator builds the SMS message draft, including tags, and selects Publish, making the SMS message available for use in programs or API.
Add SMS content to your program
- Open a program.
- Click Edit program settings.
- Choose a contact source by selecting a mobile-enabled database or query of that database.
- Select Add contacts when the following events occur and choose a behavior.
Note: You can select any query containing profile, channel, behavioral, or relational table criteria. Universal behaviors (UB) or in-queries are not supported as a program entrance query unless they are event-based triggers based on universal behaviors.
- Click Add behavior and choose the behavior type (make sure your universal behaviors were configured earlier). To specify an app within the app group for UB attributes, you need to retrieve the app key from your mobile app developer.
- Click Save and edit flow to return to the program flow.
- Add the SMS message step to the program flow.
- Place the actions on the step and decisions before or after the step.
- Step checks SMS consent record. If consent has been lost for the SMS Text to join program, the contact exits the program.
- Hover over the step and click Configure.
Note: Included tags do not display on the Configure SMS page or in the insight panel.
- Select a Text to join program name from the menu.
- Review the content of the SMS message.
- Click Edit if you want to use the advanced setting option. You can set the specific time of day you want the SMS message to send.
- Click Apply to save and complete the step configuration.
- Activate the program.
When the SMS message is sent, any tags included during the SMS message creation process are added to any program level tags.
Note: Contacts must be opted-in to SMS to receive your messages. If a contact has entered a program but has opted out of SMS by the time they arrive at the step, they are immediately exited from the program.
If you want to change the message associated to the step, open the Configure SMS screen and click Change.