Contacts enter a program (via API, database/query or triggered behavior) and the program then processes the actions and their rules in a certain order.
Summary of Actions and Steps in Programs: Order of Execution
Note: Display order of actions does not reflect actual execution order.
Program Level Actions
- Schedules any lead route exports.
- Moves any Move to Track/Moves to Exits actions.
Track Level Actions - All Tracks
- Schedules lead route exports, beginning with the Start Track and proceeding down through all tracks.
- Moves contacts (Moves to Track/Move to Exit), beginning with the Start Track and proceeding down through all tracks.
Track Level Actions - By Track
- Process CRM actions, starting with the Start Track.
- Process Update Profile actions that are placed on Track.
Steps and Actions on Steps
Process each Step starting with 1st placed in Track (left to right):
- Processes any pre-Step Decision Point for Step qualification.
- Schedules contacts for Emails, Messages, Direct Mail, or Telesales according to the Step configuration.
For actions placed on the Step:
- Schedules eligible contacts for any CRM actions.
- Updates eligible contact data for any Update Profile actions.
- Schedules contacts for any Lead Route exports.
- Moves contacts for any Step Level move actions (Move to Track/Move to Exit).
Process any Decision Points placed after Steps in track, if present.
Next execution, repeats same pattern.
Acoustic Campaign: Programs Automation Flow - Order of Processing
Explanation of Diagram
Program level - Full Scope of Program
- Process Lead Routes
- Process Move Actions
If none, proceed to Track Level.
Track level - Actions on Track for All Tracks
Runs ALL Tracks, top to bottom for the following:
- Process Lead Routes
- Process Move actions
If none, proceed to Track by Track
Track by Track, beginning with Start Track (1)
- Process the CRM actions
- Process Update Profile actions
Step level - Steps/Decisions
Sends and DM/TS exports that are scheduled, then actions on steps run
- Process first step or Decision Point preceding step
- Process the Send (Schedule to Send engine)
- Process actions placed ON the step in the following order:
- CRM if present
- Update Profile
- Lead Routes
- Move to Track/Move to Exits
Process Decision Point on Track following Steps.
Proceed to next Track, repeat process from "Track by Track, beginning with Start Track (1)"
Can a message send ASAP?
Using triggered events and placing a step at the top of the Start Track creates an Auto-responder like send if no other process tasks exists between entrance and that first step. Applies to first step only. (No programs or track level actions or Decisions before the first Step.)
For more information, see Event Triggered Programs Entry.
Regarding Order of Operations, what is the difference between Program, Track and Step levels?
The Program level is above the Flow. Certain actions can be placed here that looks for qualifying contacts across all tracks with each run.
Track level refers to the horizontal sections that contain Steps and Decision Points and defines the order of processing. Actions can be placed on the bar above each track, referred to as Apply to a Track, Decision Point action can be placed on the Track, following a Step.
Decision Points that precede Steps are considered placing "on Step" since they are the criteria for the Step.
Step Level means that actions are placed onto the Step box itself.
What are unconfigured steps and what happens when a program is activated with unconfigured steps?
All unconfigured items have a RED DOTTED OUTLINE around the item.
A program can be activated with unconfigured steps. Activating with unconfigured steps allows incremental development and testing of a program. However, contacts stop and are not processed if they arrive at an unconfigured step (does not skip over unconfigured steps).