Contacts can opt in or opt out from databases at any time to choose whether they want to receive communications from you. Understanding how to add a contact and where in the program that contact is will help you ensure that your program is working properly.
How contacts opt in to a database
If a program is set up to add contacts only when a new contact opts in to a database, the contacts added to the database through list import are not added to the program. With such a setup, the contacts will enter the program in three cases:
- You add contacts manually by clicking the database's Add contacts button.
- Contacts submit an opt-in web form.
- Contacts are added by the AddRecipient API call (if that event trigger option is in place).
Add contacts from list imports to a database and program
To have contacts added from list imports automatically to your database and program, use a different setup:
- Create a query with the following parameters:
- Data field - Opt-in date is within the last 1 day
- Operator - is within the last
- Value - 1 days
This will bring in all contacts (manual adds, web form opt-ins, API adds, and list imports).
- Set the program's contact source to the query you have created.
- Choose the Program setting option to add all contacts from the database and then choose Continuously while the program is active. Your program will check for all newly opted-in contacts upon each program entrance cycle.
For more information on when your program will enter new contacts, check Contact entry and run frequency in programs.
Add contacts by creating rules after they have opted into the database
- Within the Edit program settings page, select Add all contacts from the database and then Continuously while the program is active.
- Check the box Limit to contacts that match rule.
- Click Setup rule. Here, select Data fields and select opt-in date then is exactly.
- Enter 0 days ago. This triggers contacts to come into the program via rules.
Note: This only applies if you use an import update to add opted-in contacts to a database. If using the Add contact button on the Data summary page or the AddContact API, the opt-in event will enter the new contacts into the program.
Custom opt-out link in a program
Opted out contacts moving through a program remain in the program, but do not receive any messages. Contacts that opt out of a database are automatically exited so that they do not continue in the program. Removed contacts are shown in the Removed contact counts total in the insight overview panel.
Acoustic Campaign adds contacts to programs regardless of their email permission status. It gives you the ability to route contacts into and around programs even if they are not opted-in for email. As a result, you can see an increase in the number of contacts added to programs, with a higher rate of exit at the first email step.
Here's how it works:
- If an opted-out contact becomes eligible for a direct mail/telesales step, the contact is processed in that step.
- If the contact becomes eligible for an action/decision, the contact is processed by the action.
- However, if an opted-out contact becomes eligible for an email step, the contact is automatically exited. Like email, if a mobile app message contact arrives at a mobile app message step and has a consent status of opted-out or never joined, it is automatically exited at that step.
You must be an Org admin in Acoustic Campaign to create a custom opt-out link. The option to select a custom opt-out link in an email is not available before the email is sent – you need to change the link type first.
- If a custom opt-out link is an opt-out web form, change the link type to opt-out to page, clickstream, or tracked hyperlink. Click the web form name on the landing page to get the right URL.
- If a custom opt-out link is to an external site, set it to a tracked link.
- Go to Settings > Administration > Organization settings.
- Select Opt-out/Suppression settings.
- Set to opt-out link required to send: No for the email to Save & validate in a program or Send from the Send email confirmation screen.