The Top Products report shows the top 1,000 products viewed at least once for the selected reporting time period. Use it to better understand what products your customers are viewing and purchasing on your website.
The Top Products report helps you to identify which products are drawing the most interest and to understand the value of that interest. This information can help you to determine effective placement for products on your site.
The following examples show ways to use Top Products data:
- The Top Products report, in conjunction with the Abandoned Products and On-site Search reports, frequently reveals hidden trends in consumer demand. Analyze these reports periodically to help boost look-to-book ratios and product sales.
- Products that are listed in the Top Products report are not necessarily top sellers. Make sure that products in this report also have a high conversion rate by reviewing their performance in the Product Categories report. Products only appear in the Top Products report if they are among the highest viewed products. High product views indicate interest, but if the conversion is low, examine why this product is not being purchased. Consider taking the following actions:
- Compare product prices on competitive sites and adjust the pricing accordingly to win over price-sensitive and comparison shoppers.
- Try A / B testing various product graphics and page tools (Views, zooms, and so on) to determine if certain tools drive higher conversion than others.
- Examine the performance of product categories because high-ticket items usually have a lower conversion.
- If a Top Product is also a Top Abandoned Product, ensure that rebates or special shipping options are clearly described on your product pages. Poorly defined options can confuse or frustrate customers.
Key performance indicators for Top Products report
Focus on the following key performance indicators when analyzing data in the Top Products report.
The Top Products report provides the following metrics in the default view.
- Product Views
The number of product page views for each product that was received during the selected time period (Based on Product View tags).
- Items Abandoned
The number of items that were added to a shopping cart that was either removed from the cart or were part of an order not completed within a session (Based on Shop 5 and 9 tags).
- Online: Items Sold
The total sales for the items that were purchased during the selected time period (Based on Shop 9 tags).
Additionally, if you edit the Top Products report, you can add these metrics.
- Item Abandonment Rate
The ratio of items abandoned to items placed in the shopping cart.
- Items Added
The number of items that are placed into a shopping cart during a specified time period. Adding items to a cart does not necessarily mean that the items were purchased.
- Unique Abandoners
The number of unique visitors who abandoned one or more shopping carts.