Generate transactional emails
You can select from two methods to generate transactional messages: templates and pre-assembled HTML messages.
Use templates with personalized content fields
Create a template within Transact to deliver only the personalized elements for each dynamic field within the message. Submit a recipient data file and the content for each personalized field within the template, and your message is assembled and delivered.
Note: This type of message construction is best suited for receipts with consistent layouts and structures.
Send Transact the entire, pre-assembled message body
If you have complex business rules or existing in-house systems, you can deliver the entire, pre-assembled HTML body for each message. This type of message construction offers flexibility. You can use internal rule engines to assemble each message with as much personalization as you want.
Note: Pre-assembled message body transactional emails are most appropriate for itineraries that require completely personalized content for each message sent.
Assign an email to a Transact Message Group
To send a Transact message, you need to assign an email template to your Transact Message Group.
To assign an email template to a Transact Message Group:
- Go to Emails > Emails and templates and click your email template.
- Click Automate on the upper right menu.
- Check Assign email to existing group of automated messages and select your Transact message group from the drop-down list.
- Under Upon assignment, save email, select Active.
- Click Submit and then click Automate.
- Return to your Message Group and confirm that it is active. If it's in the Pending tab, select the check box next to it and click Activate.
Transactional messages and dynamic content
Dynamic content that uses rulesets to show different content based on rules and database values is not available in transactional messaging.
Instead, you can use XML code to make your content dynamic. To dynamically change the content of each contact's email, you can do this when you generate the XML code that specifies the personalization values for each contact's email.
Update a template in an automated message group for use in Transact
When you make changes to an email template for a message group, the changes are not automatically applied. You must cancel the existing message template, and then re-assign the template to the message group for the changes to become live.
To activate your changed template, complete the following steps.
- Go to Automation > Automated messages groups > View Groups of Automated Messages
- On the Active tab, select the Automated Message Group where the template is located.
- Select the template and click Cancel and then confirm your selection.
- The template moves to the Completed/Canceled tab.
- Return to your updated email template, and click Automate.
- Check Assign email to existing group of automated messages and select your message group from the drop-down list.
- To activate the template immediately, select Active in the Upon assignment, save email as field.
- Click Submit and then Automate.
- Return to your Message Group and confirm that it is active. If it's in the Pending tab, click the check box next to it and click Activate.