Only databases and new-type queries can be used for A/B testing.
You can create a query that includes a contact list that contains your A/B test contacts, here's how:
- After you create a contact list, set it up by using the following criteria in a query:
- Go to Profile > Contact List.
- Specify Is in Contact List and select the contact list that you want to use in the query.
- To include multiple contact lists in the A/B split test, change the AND to OR for each new set of criteria.
- In the email template, select the query as the contact source for your A/B split test email.
- Save the email and click On to Send to go to the send email draft.
When you use new queries for A/B testing, the parent database from which the query was made must use the org default VMTA.
To ensure that the parent database is using the default VMTA, complete the following steps.
- Select the database that you used to make the query, which is called the parent database.
- Click Settings.
- Make sure that the VMTA Name is set to Use Parent Contact Source VMTA.
When you choose an email for an A/B test, the system creates queries of the same name that are used to send all emails, including the winning subject line and from name.
When you schedule an A/B test, contact lists are created at the scheduled time. If the contact source you used is a query, the query is run and the contact lists are created at the scheduled time, not at send time.