There are several types of links that you can include in your email in the content builder.
To track links to pages within use the clickstream link. This link type tracks the link activity and appends the mailingID, recipientID, jobID, and reportID. To see the conversion tracking data in the single email report, use clickstream links on a single link.
For more information on creating links, go to Add and edit links.
Opt-out links allow your contacts to opt-out of future emails. When contacts opt out of emails, they are opted out of the associated list or added to the master suppression list, depending on your organization's settings.
If the system is in maintenance mode, the opt-out is captured and processed when the system comes out of maintenance mode. Typically, this processing occurs within 24 - 48 hours in compliance with requirements of applicable laws, rules, and regulations, including the requirements of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003.
It is a best practice to always include an unsubscribe or opt-out ink in your email. By default, an opt-out or unsubscribe link is not included in your email, you must add one. However, an org admin may require an opt-out or unsubscribe link for all emails by selecting the Opt Out Link Required to Send setting in organization settings.
Types of opt-out links
There are four types of opt-out links:
- Opt-out to page: To use an opt-out (to page) link, you must create a set of web forms, one of which is an opt-out form. Associate the forms with the same database as the email. When contacts click this type of link, they are taken to the opt-out web form and must submit that form for the opt-out to be registered.
- Opt-out one click: Creates a link to opt out for this list. When contacts click submit, they are opted out and see a confirmation screen.
- Opt-out custom: If you handle opt-outs with a form on your own website, you can add the website URL and use an opt-out (custom) link to redirect a contact to your website. When contacts click this link in your email, they are directed to a standard opt-out confirmation form. When they enter their email address, they no longer receive any of your emails. You must ensure that the opt-out is registered in the database, which you can do manually by using a list/database import or XML API call.
- Opt-out email: When contacts click an opt-out to mail link, a new email message is opened by their default email clients. The email message is pre-populated with "Unsubscribe" as the subject and an email-specific and contact-specific email address in the reply to field. Reply handling processes this type of opt-outs regardless of whether you use the reply handling feature.
Email (Mail to)
If you want contacts to send this email to other recipients, add an Email (mail to) link type.
Note: When a contact clicks a mail to link, it is not tracked. Campaign does not track mail to links.
You can add personalization to the email and subject lines.
To give your content a different look, you can include a link that shows content in HTML, text, or on another web page.
To allow your contacts to share your email with others, add a social network link to an image or text. For more information on adding social network links, go to Add share-to-social links.
An anchor is a link in your email or landing page that allows recipients to jump to another location in the email.
Use the File Download link if you provide a central location for delivering files through emails. This option allows you to update files in real time.
- Insert a PDF or other file type into emails that can be opened or downloaded directly from the asset library when a contact clicks a link in the email.
- Update the same asset file after the email was sent. Contacts who click the link after the initial email open the most recent asset library file.
- Replace the asset file with a new file after the email was sent. Contacts who click the link after the initial email open the new asset library file.
File download restrictions include:
- Only available through emails.
- Cannot be used as a link type when a content block is created in the asset library.
- Only enabled for dynamic content when the asset download is inserted through the email, not via API.
- Maximum file size (for any type of accepted file) is 100 MB.