Audiences are one of the basic building blocks of reporting. They help analyze marketing campaigns and find out what types of campaigns work best with which group of customers. You can create audiences based on any database field you have in your Campaign database, including basic demographics (gender, age group, location), personal and professional life information (job, family, interests, etc.), the level reached in your company's loyalty program and many more.
Audiences, also called segments or marketing segments, are customer records that are sorted and filtered based on marketing criteria (such as income or credit card use) or behavior (such as filling out forms or abandoning carts).
Note: You need to add audiences to Performance Insights before you can begin tracking aggregate data by specific groups of people. You cannot retroactively track any data for older campaigns or emails; the tracking begins when you add your audiences.
The Audience management screen lists the audiences that are defined for your organization, the number of records for that audience, and the application that provides the audience data (“publisher”). Because customer information changes frequently, the data in the records is refreshed weekly.
You can have up to 10 audiences enabled at one time.
Note: When there are 10 audiences enabled for your account, the Add audience button is not available. If you want to add another audience, you must disable an audience first.
Add, edit, and disable audiences
- In the left navigation pane, select Audience Management.
- Perform one of the following actions:
- To add an audience, click Add audience and select the source for the audience by searching for the name or selecting from the list. After you add an audience, there is a short delay before the audience data is refreshed.
- Click Add to save a newly created audience.
Your audience is ready to use when the status is Active.
- To edit an audience name or description, in the row for the audience, click the Action menu icon> Edit. Type a name and description for the audience and click Save.
- To disable an audience, in the row for the audience, click the Action menu icon> Disable. Your audience is disabled.
Filter by a specific audience
Before you can filter by audience, you must first add your audience. Select Audience management. You can either Add audience or enable an audience that is already added and has been disabled. You cannot track any audience data until you have added and enabled the audience.
To filter by audience, perform the following steps:
- Select the filter icon, and click Audience dimension.
- In the Filters pane, select Audiencename, and then from the Selected pane, select the audience you want to filter by.
- Click Next and then Update to save your changes to your current filter set or Save as to save a new filter set.
Your filter set will then update to display only data for that specific audience that you chose.
Audiences for Performance Insights are only available from contact lists and queries that you created in the Acoustic Campaign. They are then synced with Performance Insights and you can add them as necessary.
If you can't find your audiences, there might be some reasons why:
- You created an audience in Acoustic Exchange. Acoustic Exchange audiences are not added to Performance Insights. Bring your contact lists and queries from Acoustic Campaign into Performance Insights to track them as audiences. Also, make sure that the audience status is "Active" before you try to use it.
- You are trying to add an audience in an Acoustic Campaign screen outside of the Performance Insights dashboard. To add an audience in Performance Insights, you must be on the Audience management screen. Select Audience management > Add audience.