Data for Unique Visitors KPI in Journey Analytics is calculated differently than Visitors in Digital Analytics.
How Unique Visitor KPI data is calculated in Journey Analytics
- The Visitors KPI, which is shown on the Overview dashboard, is calculated based on the following criteria:
- The Exchange x1Id from the Exchange identity store.
- Uniqueness is calculated per day. So if user XYX sends an event each day, the user is counted as a unique visitor each day.
How Visitor data is calculated in Digital Analytics
- Visitors are calculated based on the cookie ID.
- For unique visitors, Digital Analytics calculates uniqueness based on a specified time period. For example, in a weekly report, Digital Analytics calculates uniqueness for the week. Thus, a user is counted as unique for the week only once, not once per day. In a monthly report, Digital Analytics calculates uniqueness for the month.
- To calculate anonymous visitors and tracked visitors, Digital Analytics calculates the ratio of anonymous_page_view/page_views and uses the ratio against the total number of visitors. All anonymous events use the same cookie_id constant. Digital Analytics sessionizer sends events to Exchange and then processes data overnight before using the data in reports or KPIs.