This example describes how to create a report in the Report Builder to monitor daily page counts and the rolling average of page counts over the preceding year.
Many customers use a licensing model in which the count of pages captured and processed by Tealeaf is the primary metric for billing purposes. For example, you can license Tealeaf products based on an estimated an average daily page count of 10 million. To monitor compliance, you might want to track the average page counts captured by Tealeaf on a daily basis. Because licensing is renewed on an annual basis, the average count over the preceding days is a useful metric for monitoring compliance.
- The standard Tealeaf licensing model is based on counts of CPUs where Tealeaf software has been deployed.
- The page count licensing model is particularly useful for customers who have installed Tealeaf in virtualized environments.
If you don't use the page count licensing model, this example can show how to surface data captured by standard events into reports and to track their changes using Top Movers and alerts.
Create a report in Report Builder
You can use the Report Builder to create a report that monitor page counts. Complete the following steps use the Report Builder to create a report to monitor page counts.
- Login to the Portal.
- Review the volume of reporting data that is available in the database:
- From the Portal menu, navigate to Portal Management.
- Click the CX Settings category.
- Click the Data Retention link.
- Review the value for
Reporting Data (daily) Days Retain. This value indicates the number of days previous to today for which you can compute the daily page counts.
- You might want to use this information later in this scenario.
- From the Portal menu, select Analyze > Report Builder.
- To create a new report, click the Create New report icon in the toolbar.
- In the Events tab on the left side, click Add Event. The Event Selector is displayed.
- Verify that the View by Labels checkbox in the Event Selector window is selected.
- Click the Standard Events event label.
- Click the
- To view the event in further detail, hover over the icon to the left of the event you intend to select.
- From the Event Selector window, select the
- Click Select.
The event is added to the report.
- In the generated report, page counts for a particular date are broken down by each hour of the day. For purposes of this exercise, this level of detail is not useful. For licensing purposes, only the daily counts of page counts are meaningful.
- Click the Calendar tool and select the date range over which you would like to review the daily page count totals.
- In the resulting report, data may be grouped at weekly (in this case) or monthly levels. At the bottom of the report, you can review the totals and daily average, which are automatically tabulated for you.
- These figures can be used to track your daily page counts for reporting purposes.
- To save the report, click the Save icon in the toolbar. Enter a name such as
Weekly Page Counts. Click Save.
Add reports to a dashboard
You can add reports to a dashboard. When the report is available in a dashboard, you can visit the dashboard on a daily basis to keep tabs on system activities. Complete the following steps to add a report to the Technical Site Metrics dashboard.
- If it is not already, open the Weekly Page Counts report in the Report Builder.
- From the toolbar, select the Add Report to Dashboard icon.
- Enter a title and click Save.
The Add Report to Dashboard dialog is displayed.
- Select the following options:
- Change the title as needed.
- For Updates, select
Every Hour. Since this report tabulates values for the preceding day, it should not need more frequent updates.
- For the Display, select
Chart. You can select the
Tableoption if you prefer to see the raw counts instead of the graphic.
- To enable exploration of the underlying Report Builder report, select
Enabledfor the Drilldown option.
- For the Period, select
- For the target dashboard tab:
- Click the link next to Target Tab.
- Click the
Technical Site Metricsentry.
Activity Reportsand click Select.
- To add the configured report to the selected dashboard, click Add.
- The report is added.
- To see the report, select Dashboard > Technical Site Metrics.
- Click the Activity Reports tab.
- The report is displayed at the bottom of the page.
- You might want to reposition the dashboard component on the Activity Reports tab.
Please sign in to leave a comment.