Email insights provide Acoustic Campaign users with Email previews. You can generate screenshots to see how your emails look in more than 90 different email clients and devices. Previews also include spam testing, which lets you test emails against the most popular spam filters.
Note: Emails with images or symbols in the subject line are not compatible with the API that links Acoustic Campaign to email insights. Users must remove symbols from the Subject line and regenerate the Preview.
Create a new preview test
Create a preview test to start generating screenshots and testing against spam filters.
- Click the New Preview tab.
- Select Shared Folders or Private Folders to locate your email template. Shared and Private folders are where your email template is stored inside Acoustic Campaign.
- Search for any email template that has not been tested within email insights. Select a date filter to sort email templates based on the last date they were modified in Acoustic Campaign.
- Click Test.
- Select an email template and do the following:
- Select a database from the drop-down list that you want to use for the email test.
- If spam testing is enabled with your preview, email insights add a private Contact List to this database, and then temporarily adds "Spam Seed" email addresses to the private Contact List.
- Email insights will send an email from Acoustic Campaign to these Spam Seed email addresses.
- After the email is sent, email insights delete the Spam Seed email addresses from the private Contact List.
- To turn off spam tests, select Do not run spam test. If this option is selected, only Preview screenshots for the email are generated.
Personalization testing is not available with spam tests. If you want to test the Personalization of your email, select the Do not run spam test option. Then, the option to add an email address for Personalization testing becomes available. Choosing the Personalization testing option will also avoid creating a Spam Seed list.
- Click Create Preview Test.
It takes from 2 to 10 minutes for your Preview and Spam results to be generated. Allow time for Litmus to process your results and return them to email insights.
- After you click Create Preview Test, email insights begin generating screenshot previews of your email templates and displaying them on the Preview Results page. For each screenshot that is generated, a thumbnail image of the screenshot displays on the Preview Results page. This page updates approximately every 30 seconds until all the preview results are generated.
- To see a full-page screenshot, click the View link below a thumbnail image.
- On the full-page screenshot, use the Next and Previous buttons to see your other screenshots.
- Click Close to return to the Preview Results page.
Note: When performing a Preview Test, all devices and email clients, etc. show the image to be static. That is because static images from Litmus are a snapshot of how the email is rendered on different clients. Depending on the gif in the email, the initial frame is expected to be rendered. If the email client does not support gifs, then an empty space may be rendered. However, the email insights preview itself would not display any animation.
View previous preview tests
- In email insights, select Previews.
- On the Recent Tests tab, click the Preview Tests tab.
- Search for an email template that has been tested.
- Use the date filter to sort email templates based on the last date they were modified in the Acoustic Campaign.
- Click the template name to view its previous test.
Email insights fail to create preview tests or a new campaign
When trying to run a preview test or create an Analytics campaign, email insights might not be able to complete the desired action with your template.
There are a few common reasons that email insights might not complete the action:
- CDATA - email insights are not compatible with some formats of CDATA with Acoustic Campaign email templates. If your email template contains CDATA, try removing CDATA from your template and rerunning the action with email insights.
- Malformed HTML characters with template - Corrupt HTML characters can prevent email insights from being able to export your template from the Acoustic Campaign.
Email preview and spam test fails in email insights
Sometimes, when running a preview test that includes a spam test, email insights may experience an error when sending the email from Acoustic Campaign.
Here are some of the common error messages and their resolutions:
- Cannot generate email: Email is a Locked Template - Locked Templates are not compatible with Spam testing. Please rerun this test and omit the Spam component.
- Error loading list of sent email - This error will occur if the default email insights user permission has been changed. The default FTP user for email insights must have Org Admin privileges. (This user is typically
- We are experiencing problems connecting to the Acoustic Campaign API - Please try your test again in a few minutes. The Acoustic Campaign API may be having momentary downtime.
- Job Failed to Complete - The spam seed email addresses were not successfully added. Please try again and contact Acoustic Campaign Support if the error persists.
Preview test only showing one database
When creating a preview test in email insights and choosing to run a spam test with it, you will need to select a database to use for the test.
You might only have one database to choose from in the drop-down menu. This is because that is the database (or parent database of a query) currently selected as the contact source for your template.
To select a different database, you will need to make sure no contact source is selected in the template. Having the template configured like this will then display all of the databases that can be used for this test. If you already ran a preview test with a spam test and want to retest with a different database, you can. You can either select a new database (if no database is applied to the template) or you will need to change the database applied to the email.
Preview with spam test HTML requirements
If your previews with spam tests are not working, check your HTML.
If your template is using this DOCTYPE: XHTML 1.0. Your
<html> tag must contain:
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" For example:
<!DOCTYPEhtml PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> <head> <title>Title of the document</title> </head>
<html> will cause your template to not be validated and both tests will fail.