Send the mobile user’s unread inbox message count to the mobile application's badge.
The badge is the red circle that appears on an application icon with a number. You can control its behavior in two ways:
- Set the badge to the desired value when a message is sent.
- Use Inbox badge management. Set Acoustic Campaign to track the count of unread messages in a mobile app user's inbox so the badge value can be set to the number of unread messages. This option is set on a per-application basis, so different applications can have this option checked or not. When enabled, the addition of new inbox messages triggers a push to mobile devices which sets the badge.
This option is supported in the iOS SDK 184.108.40.206.0 and higher. For more details, check Add number badge to your application in Acoustic Developer Center.
Enable inbox badge management
- Go to Development > Apps > New apps or Development > Apps > Edit. Under App details, the Send unread inbox count as badge option enables pushing unread inbox message counts as a badge to mobile devices.
- Select Yes or No as desired.
Note: By default, this feature is set to No; however, the user can switch it to Yes at any time.
- Click Save.
How it works
When Send unread inbox count as badge is set to Yes, Acoustic Campaign pushes a message to mobile devices that cause the badge to appear. The badge shows a number indicating how many unread inbox message entries there are. This badge feature counts the following types of messages (sent from both Acoustic Campaign or an API call):
- Simple+Inbox: The badge count is carried along with the push content that delivers the simple push.
- Inbox-only: The badge count is sent by itself to the device.
There is a difference in behavior between Simple+Inbox and Inbox-only:
- Simple+Inbox: The badge property is only ever carried along with the simple push. The badge is not sent to all channels for that user.
- Inbox-only: The user's channels are discovered and the badge is pushed to all channels for the user.
When Send unread inbox count as badge is set to No, Campaign pushes badge counts only when they are specified as part of the message.
Notes about inbox badge management
- If the Set badge option on the iOS Content page is turned on and a badge value is entered in Send Experience or an API payload:
- the badge set here will override the unread inbox message count
- the value explicitly set on the iOS Content page will be sent to the mobile app.
- Because Campaign only sends badge counts to devices when new inbox messages are created, it is the responsibility of mobile application code to update/clear the badge when a user reads messages.