You can use group lists to normalize values that are detected in the capture stream to internally meaningful values.
For example, if your enterprise underwent two mergers recently, you may want to create a dimension that uses a group list to normalize the names of each company (
Company A and
Company B) to the name of the current organization (
A dimension can be populated by one or more group lists. A group list is a specified value (value to record) and an associated list of values that, when detected, are recorded as the specified group value. A dimension can be populated by one or more group lists. These lists may be manually specified or generated from log values.
A group list is not the same thing as a whitelist. Use a whitelist to specify individual values that are permitted and recorded as the original value.
To create a group list dimension:
- In the Event Manager, select the Dimension tab.
- Click New Dimension.
- Enter a Name and Description for the dimension.
- Specify the other properties as needed.
- Select one of the group list types as the value to record.
- Edit the group list.
- To use logged values as source data, click Turn On Logging.
- Edit the group list.
- Click Save Draft.
- To commit your changes, click Save Changes in the Dimensions tab.
Editing a group list
In the Edit Group List window, you can edit your group list from logged values, imported files, and lists that you manually enter.
Note: After you specify the values in your group list and save the changes to the server, you cannot change the source values. You can change the List Value, which is displayed in reporting.
After you specify your group list, you should export the list to a file. In case you need to make changes later, you can use the exported file as one of your data sources for population of the group list in the new dimension.
Note: You can remove values only if the group list was not yet saved to the server.
- In the Edit List window, you can specify the List Value that you are adding or editing and the source values as individual entries.
Note: Changing the List Value that is recorded does not apply the change to any values that were already captured and saved to the database.
Note: Do not add multiple values as a comma-separated list. Each value must be inserted as a separate entry.
- For numeric list values, you can specify ranges of values to map to the list value you are creating. The values and ranges of values are evaluated in the order in which they are listed in the Edit List window. So, data validation is not required, and ranges of values can overlap.
- If there are gaps in the range of values, no error or warning is displayed.
- Values that are detected but are not specified in the numeric list are recorded as another instance of