In Acoustic™ Experience Analytics (Tealeaf) environments that contain multiple machines, upgrade each server that hosts Experience Analytics software or databases. For this type of upgrade, you stop services and upgrade in a specific order.
Before you begin to upgrade your environment, review the procedures that describe how to upgrade Experience Analytics components. The procedures describe how to use the Upgrader to upgrade existing components in place or use the Installer to change components as part of an overall upgrade of your environment.
For each server that you plan to upgrade, satisfy the following prerequisites.
- Complete all environment preparations. Complete all hardware, software, and database changes that the upgrade requires.
- Verify that the current Experience Analytics systems are functioning normally.
- Complete all backups and exports. Ideally, you should create a complete mirror image of the server.
- Copy the upgrade software to the server that you plan to upgrade. Copy the software to a directory outside of the Experience Analytics installation directory.
After you are confident that all prerequisites are satisfied, proceed with the upgrade. You will need to stop traffic on each server that you upgrade.
Stopping and starting traffic on Experience Analytics servers
Before you begin to upgrade a server that hosts Acoustic Experience Analytics (Tealeaf) components, you must stop traffic on the servers being upgraded.
To stop services on a server, you must have administrator privileges on the server.
If the Data Collector and reporting services are installed separately from the processing servers, allow the Data Collector to complete its run. After you stop the services, the Data Collector stops receiving data from a processing server.
Stop all Experience Analytics services on the Report Server.
- Log in to the server as an administrator.
- Go to Start > Programs > Tealeaf Technology. Click one of the following options and wait for all services to stop.
- Stop All Services
- Stop Tealeaf Services
- Open the Windows™ Services applet and manually stop all remaining Experience Analytics services that are still running, including the following.
- Tealeaf Scheduler Service
- Tealeaf Transport Service
- Tealeaf Management Service
- Wait for the services to stop. Close Windows Event Viewer Control Panel and the Windows Services Control Panel. Continue with the upgrade on the server.
- To restart the server after completing the server upgrade, go to Start > Programs > Tealeaf Technology and click Start Tealeaf Services. Check the event logs for errors.
Upgrading the Report server
In a multi-server Acoustic Experience Analytics (Tealeaf) environment, upgrade the server that hosts the Reporting server first.
When you upgrade the Report server, you can also choose to upgrade the Experience Analytics databases and migrate data from the previous version to the new schema. If you intend to upgrade the databases, you need system administrator privileges.
The Report server typically includes the Experience Analytics Portal.
If you choose to upgrade the database when you upgrade the Report server, the Database Manager utility starts automatically. This utility upgrades the Experience Analytics databases running on Microsoft SQL Server.
- Stop services on the server.
- Run the Experience Analytics Upgrader.
If you chose to upgrade the database during this process, the Upgrade starts the Database Manager utility to upgrade the databases.
- When the Upgrader finishes, restart the server.
Upgrading the Processing servers
In a multi-server Acoustic Experience Analytics (Tealeaf) environment, upgrade the Processing servers after you upgrade the Report server. You can upgrade each Processing server in sequence or all of them at the same time.
- Stop services on the server.
- Run the Experience Analytics Upgrader.
- When the upgrade finishes, restart the server.
Upgrading the Experience Analytics databases
If you do not upgrade Acoustic Experience Analytics (Tealeaf) databases during the Report server upgrade, you must upgrade the databases with the Database Manager.
Upgrading the Experience Analytics databases involves a series of preparations. Also, you can use the Database manager in different ways to upgrade the databases.
After upgrading the databases, start the Processing servers and the Report server.
Upgrading the Health-based routing servers
In a multi-server Acoustic Experience Analytics (Tealeaf) environment, upgrade the Health-based routing (HBR) servers last.
Health-based routing enables you to balance loads between Processing servers in a multi-Canister environment.
When you upgrade Experience Analyticsin a multi-Canister environment, Acoustic recommends deploying HBR to manage loads during the upgrade process. HBR requires a separate server and more installation before you upgrade.
After you upgrade HBR and restart the server, the Tealeaf Management Service (TMS) automatically restarts. If you did not upgrade other Experience Analytics servers before this, this service must be stopped manually. TMS on the upgraded server should not be allowed to communicate with other servers that are not yet upgraded.
The Experience Analytics Upgrader shuts down all Experience Analytics software on the server. During the time of HBR upgrade, traffic from the PCA is dropped.
- On the HBR server, run the Upgrader (
TLsetup.exe) from the directory where you extracted the upgrade archive.
- Click Next on the Welcome screen.
- Click Yes on the Upgrade screen.
- The upgrade proceeds with the following:
- Install the Microsoft™ Redistributes.
- Transfer files.
- Canister Rebuild screen (preserving session data).
- Start the upgrade process on other Canisters while you are waiting for this step to complete.
- The Finish screen is displayed.
- Complete the upgrade and restart.
- If prompted to restart the server, click Yes.
- If prompted to finish:
- Check the option that says Start Tealeaf Services.
- Click OK/Done.
The HBR server starts processing data from the PCA and feeding that data to the Processing servers or spooling if none is available. Reports are not updated until completion of the Report server upgrade and resumption of data collection.
Verifying return to operation
After upgrading the server-side components of Acoustic Experience Analytics (Tealeaf), verify that all Experience Analytics CX components are working on the appropriate servers.
Before you verify your installation, see whether there are any patches for the build to which you have upgraded.
- Log on to Experience Analytics CX portal. Typically, the URL is the following:
- Verify that active sessions are present in the Portal.
- Verify that sessions can be replayed through the Portal.
- Verify that all functions of the Experience Analytics CX solution work as expected.
After completing the upgrade, complete various post-upgrade cleanup tasks.
After you complete the upgrade of the Acoustic Experience Analytics (Tealeaf) CX platform and core applications, you may upgrade your other Experience Analytics applications and components.