This use case shows how to create custom opt-out keywords.
- Text to join: Use an existing text to join program. You will need to reference the program when you create the multi-step program.
- Multi-step: You will create a new multi-step program that will recognize the custom keyword and process the opt-out request.
Best practice is to use one custom keyword SMS opt-out multi-step program to one text to join program.
Note: If you want contacts to opt out of more than one text to join program via a single keyword, in the multi-step program add additional opt-out actions specifying another text to join program. Then contacts will be opted out of all specified programs when they submit the defined keyword.
Custom keywords are defined as non-standard keywords, for example, DETENER, PAR, ESCALE, etc., and meet these requirements:
- Latin characters
- Contains no spaces
Set up your program
- Create a new multi-step program.
- Name: Provide a name that is easy for you to identify the program.
- Campaign: Choose the same campaign used in your text to join program.
- Code: Choose the same short or long code number that you configured for your text to join program.
- Keyword(s): Define your custom opt-out keyword.
- Session time out: Not applicable (N/A).
- Duration: This should be the same time span as your text to join program.
- Stop message and Help message: Not applicable (N/A).
- Create opt-out and send SMS actions.
- Opt-out: Processes the opt-out request by re-directing the opt-out to a text to join program.
- Send SMS: Sends an SMS in response to the opt-out request.
- Next to the input's keyword, click the arrow.
- Click Output and configure the opt-out action.
- Action type: Choose Opt-out.
- Select program: Choose the text to join program that you want to associate to this program.
- Click Add action.
- Configure the Send SMS action to send mobile end-users an opt-out confirmation message:
- Action type: Choose Send SMS.
- Message type: Choose Standard SMS.
- Message body: Type the SMS message to confirm the opt-out.
- Click OK and then Save program.
Note: If you are on a shared code and plan to use a non-English language word, to make the custom keyword unique and meaningful you may want to add identifying text, such as your text to join program name initials. For example 'cessare' is the Italian word for 'stop'. In this example, a custom keyword may be 'cessareu1'.