After you locate a session and open it for replay in BBR, you can search the text contents of the session to filter the displayed list of hits. Through Sub-search, you specify one or more search terms to examine text or specified fields in the request of the session that is currently loaded in Browser Based Replay.
Sub-search operates only on sessions that are loaded into Browser Based Replay. Before you begin, you must locate and replay a session.
When you run a sub-search is run, the Navigation List is filtered to display only the hits in the session that match the Sub-Search criteria. Then, you can use the Hit Details window to further review the matches to locate the specific hit of interest.
- Search terms can be strings or numeric values.
- For numeric values, ranged searches are supported.
- The maximum number of items or occurrences that are returned in a Sub-Search is 10,000. There can be multiple items that are returned for an individual hit.
Considerations and limitations
There are limitations and things to consider before running a sub-search on active sessions. For example:
- The search is applied against only the pages, ScreenViews, and UI events that are currently listed in the Navigation list.
- Before you define a Sub-Search against an active session, you must refresh the list of pages by using the Refresh button in the toolbar.
- Any actions that are not applied to a session until it is completed are not searchable in the
Events that are triggered on the
End of Sessiontrigger can't be displayed in an active session and aren't searchable.
Available operators for search location
You can use search operators to refine your search of the location.
The following operators can be used:
|contains||Search location contains the specified string.|
|does not contain||Search location does not contain the specified string.|
|matches||Search location matches the specified string.|
|does not match||Search location does not match the specified string.|
|less than/equal to||For numeric values, the search location contains at least one value that is less than or equal to the specified numeric value.|
|greater than/equal to||For numeric values, the search location contains at least one value that is greater than or equal to the specified numeric value.|
|between||For numeric values, the search location contains at least one value that is between the two specified values.|
Event data fields
For each event that occurred in the session, you can search for the event occurrence value or for specific dimension values that are associated with the event. The fields that contain event data available in Sub-Search correspond to entries inserted into the request when an event occurs.
The request data is in the following format:
- Example Field
- The Experience Analytics event with internal identifier
375was recorded. This field contains its recorded value.
- This field contains the plain-text value of dimension 1, recorded when event
- This field contains the hashed value of dimension 1, recorded when event
375occurred. Hashed dimension fields are stored to enable search for dimension values that are longer than 32 characters. This data is not user-readable.