The latest release of the Acoustic Campaign 1.1.0 server adds a new feature: the ability to enable Apple Push Notification Service (APNS) and Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) push deliverability reporting.
Prerequisites and caveats to the push reporting feature
- The users app must include the Acoustic Campaign SDK version 3.8.2 or higher. Versions below 3.8.2 will not report feedback on pushes received, although they may be receiving the pushes. Currently only native SDKs are supported.
- Your app may require other changes in order for the push reporting code to run. For more information refer to:
- This feature relies on the app having a chance to run in order to report the number of pushes received. Especially in the case of spotty networks, it could be that pushes are received but not reported back to the Acoustic Campaign server until network connectivity can be reestablished. You may therefore see the number of pushes received for a particular campaign grow over time as more devices are able to report in.
The reporting page now shows delivery confirmations for push messages
In addition to showing messages sent, the reporting page now shows push messages for which delivery can be confirmed.
Although push delivery is never guaranteed by the push providers, some geographies have further challenges that make push delivery more difficult:
- Widespread use of phones with over-aggressive power management which disrupt background tasks in order to advertise longer battery life.
- Data networks which are sometimes configured to drop push notification messages silently rather than passing them on.
- Push infrastructure issues such as spotty or poor networks, prevent the delivery of push messages.
The push reporting feature does not overcome geography issues, but does allow marketers to attempt to quantify them. Future releases may include additional changes that rely on this push reporting infrastructure to attempt re-delivery. In addition, marketers may use queries about these pushes in order to send alternate types of messages. For example, marketers may choose to send inbox or in-app messages to allow their customers to stay informed.
The push reporting feature is not enabled by default. Please consult with Acoustic Campaign technical support to discuss enabling it. Once enabled, the metrics will be visible on the reporting page, and queries for the push received Universal Behavior (UB) will be available.