Text to join is created to build a list of mobile numbers that can receive promotional SMS messages. This is required for both one-way and two-way messaging. For two-way messaging, set up a Mobile Originated (MO) keyword to capture the opt-in for the mobile user. After a mobile user text in the keyword to the short or long code, the mobile phone number is added to the database.
Mobile users enter a keyword and receive a confirmation SMS message. You can send one-time or recurring SMS messages to contacts that opt in to your program.
Note: After you create a text to join program, you cannot delete it. This security measure eliminates the risk of having orphan consent records.
When a contact texts STOP, CANCEL, END, UNSUBSCRIBE, or, QUIT to the code, their mobile phone number is opted-out of all previously opted-in text to join programs on that code. If this code is shared by more than one organization and pod, the subscribed number is opted out from all text to join programs across all organizations and pods.
Create a text to join program
- To open the template, go to SMS > SMS programs. Click New SMS program and select Text-to-join.
- Give your program a relevant name, such as the name of the SMS campaign.
- Choose the duration of the program: go for Indefinite or define the start and end dates. Most users choose to run the program indefinitely.
- Assign your traffic-type priority in accordance to your provisioned code.
- Select the outgoing and incoming codes that are provisioned to your organization; generally, the code will be the same. You may use a code or an alpha sender ID for outbound messages. If you use an alpha sender ID, you'll need to specify in the outbound message that the mobile user includes the code to send responses. The incoming code must be the actual code.
- Assign one or more keywords unique to your SMS program. If you use dedicated codes and you need to share the code with multiple Acoustic organizations, you must register each keyword with the provisioning team.
- A keyword set in the Keywords for program basically means that the keyword is available for all of the program auto-responding sections and will autofill in each section for you.
- To trigger the opt-out flow, the end user would simply submit the keyword + stop. There is no need to specify "Stop" as the keyword. Note that a Keyword + Stop will only opt a contact out of that specific text to join program. This is why you have to set up a global text for info stop program to receive “Stop”.
- (Optional) Select Shorten and track hyperlinks so any long URL listed in the auto-response text will be shortened and then sent to mobile users. We highly recommend this option as it enables you to make the most of the character limit and link tracking in programs.
- Set the status of the program as Active or Inactive. This allows the program to immediately start running or run at a specified time if you've set a limit.
- Configure the program messages.
Welcome message: Your text to join welcome message must be informative.
Example: Thank you for joining our SMS line! You will receive wkly offers and alerts. For help send: SMS HELP, to stop: SMS STOP, to 123456789. Msg & data rates apply.
Tip: Check with your legal department to confirm what needs to be present in the welcome message to confirm the subscriber's consent.
Already opted in: Message text should let the contact know that they are already opted in to the program and ideally, provide details for help and stop.
Example: You already signed up for this SMS service. For help send SMS HELP, to stop: SMS STOP, to 123456789. Msg & data rates apply.
- Opted out: Message text should be clear and advise end-users that they have been opted out of receiving SMS messages or the specific SMS campaign.
Help: Message text should be useful. You may want to provide web links to T&Cs and also provide opt-out instructions.
Example: SMS program provides wkly alerts for products. For full T&C visit: https://citycool/sms/termsandconditions. Send SMS STOP to 123456789 to opt out. Msg & data rates apply.
- Welcome message: Your text to join welcome message must be informative.
- (Optional) Configure pre-program and/or post-program replies if you want mobile users to get this reply message when they send the keyword before or after the program’s start or end date. Simply select the time frame for when the reply message will be sent and enter the message text.
- (Optional) Enable the character swapping option to replace special characters in your message. For more information about character swapping, see the Character swap section in the Character encoding for SMS messages article.
- Review your program before you save it.