After creating the product configuration strategy, you can :
- Preview the recommendations
- Publish or unpublish the strategy
- Edit the strategy as per your needs
- View the model status
Preview the recommendations
Use the Preview feature to view the results of the strategies before you publish them on the channel. This helps you see the recommendations that are generated by the algorithm, and how the business rules impact the recommendations.
You can then verify whether you created the right strategy and entered enough amount of lookback timeframe to view the relevant recommendations on your channel.
The product recommendation models run once a day. Hence, to preview the product recommendations, you'll have to wait at least one day after you save the strategy. Preview shows the results only after the model runs and comes up with recommendations.
Preview is not available if there are no recommendations generated for the strategy.
If you had configured both primary and fallback strategy for the zone, and if the primary strategy does not provide enough recommendations, then recommendations returned from the fallback strategy are appended to the results and displayed.
Preview is not available for Most Recent algorithm as this algorithm generates results on-the-fly based on the latest activity of visitor on the channel.
Preview of the same product recommendation models
Consider a scenario in which you create a product recommendation strategy for a zone, by selecting an algorithm, Lookback time frame, and other relevant parameters. Let us name this model as ProdRecsModel1. Its preview will be available the next day.
Now, on the next day, if you create another product recommendation strategy for another zone, using the same combination of algorithm, Lookback time frame and other parameters as that of ProdRecsModel1, then the preview for the new model will be immediately available, without the need to wait for another day.
The preview shows the recommendation data as of the time that the last model was run. For example, if you update the algorithm or Lookback time frame that is defined for your strategy, then the models need be run again to show the updated results in the preview. If you create another strategy for another zone, with same algorithm and time frame, then the model runs once for multiple zones.
Product ID in preview
To preview the recommendations, you need to enter the target product ID for which you want to verify the recommendations. In case of View-to-Buy algorithms, you may enter one or more than one product ID(s) for which you want to verify the recommendations.
View-to-View and Buy-to-Buy algorithms use collaborative filtering that encompasses techniques for matching similar products based on user interactions and makes recommendations on this basis. Hence, you need to enter one product ID to view the recommendations in preview.
You must save your strategy to activate the Preview button. When you save the strategy, it is scheduled to be run daily to generate recommendations. Preview will be available the next day.
To preview a product recommendation strategy, complete the following steps:
- In the product recommendation strategy pane, click Preview.
- In the preview window, enter one or more product IDs to find out the recommendations returned for a particular product. Product ID is case-sensitive.
Skip this step if you had selected Most popular as your algorithm.
- Click Preview.
Top 10 recommendations for the strategy are displayed in a zone. Use the pagination on the page to view more product recommendations.
Publish a product recommendation strategy
You must publish a product recommendation strategy to make it available for use on your channel.
To publish a product recommendation strategy, complete the following steps:
- In the product recommendation strategy pane, click Publish. Confirmation pop up appears.
- To publish the strategy, click Yes. Your strategy is published successfully and active on the channel.
When you publish the strategy, the product recommendations models are run every 24 hours, at UTC 00:00:00 to generate the recommendations. The models are run automatically, and you do not need to schedule them manually. The recommendations that are generated are displayed on the zone. New recommendation are not shown until the next run completes. If a model fails, the recommendations from its previous run are used and displayed on the zone.
Tip: You can track the status of your product recommendation models on the Model Status page.
After you publish the strategy, the zone on which you had created the strategy provides the following details:
- Strategy Name
- Recommendations Applied, that is, the number of times the product recommendation strategy was applied on that Zone
- Created date or last published date
When you delete a a strategy, the raw recommendations generated for the strategy are not deleted. If you create a new zone and strategy by selecting the same values for algorithm, lookback time frame, and other parameters as entered in the previous strategy, then the preview will show the same recommendations as generated previously.
Unpublish a strategy
You may want to unpublish (deactivate) the currently running strategy on a zone, for example because you want to replace it with another strategy, or you want to edit the current strategy. Before editing an active product recommendation strategy, you must unpublish it first. Perform the following steps:
- From the Zones, open the product recommendation that you want to edit.
- In the strategy page, click Unpublish.
You can now edit the product recommendation strategy.
Edit a product recommendation strategy
Before editing a product recommendation strategy, you must unpublish it first. You can edit a product recommendation strategy to update the recommendation name, lookback time period, algorithm, and business rules of the primary or fallback strategy.
- From the Zones, select the channel.
- For the zone with the recommendation you want to edit, click Actions > Edit recommendation.
- When the recommendation opens, update the required fields.
Click Edit condition to edit business rules.
- After you have made the required updates, you can do any one of the following actions:
- If you want to only save the edited strategy without publishing it on your channel, click Save.
- If you want to save the edited strategy and publish it on your channel, click Save and publish.
You can publish the strategy again after it is edited. After you publish the updated strategy, the models will be run again to generate the recommendations at the next scheduled time (00:00:00 UTC). Preview will be available the next day.
View the model status
The Model status page displays the date and time when the Product Catalog was last uploaded. The page also displays the last run date, time of the algorithm with the status.
The results for Recently Viewed algorithm are generated on-the-fly based on the latest activity of visitor on the channel. The algorithm does not have a model associated with it, and hence it is not listed on the Model status page.
To view the status, perform the following steps:
- Log in to Acoustic Personalization.
- Go to Settings > Model status.
- The channels in the list are sorted in alphabetical order. By default, the model status information for the first channel is displayed on the page. You can select the specific channel for which you want to view the algorithm last updated information.
At a time, 10 rows are displayed in the Algorithms last run details table. The following table gives an overview of the last update information shown on the page.
The combination of algorithm name, parameters, and the Lookback time frame.
The date and time when the algorithm was last run (UTC 00:00:00)
The status of the algorithm. See the section "Understanding the model status" for a detailed description of each status.
Table 2. Model status
Understanding the model status
The model status dashboard displays the status of execution of these models at that point of time. The possible values of statuses are as follows:
This status indicates that the model is newly created or modified, and was not executed in the last midnight run (00:00:00 UTC) .
Even if the status is Not Initiated, if this model combination was successfully run at least once in the past, the preview will be available, using the older data. When the model is run at the next scheduled time and generates recommendations successfully, the preview will show new recommendations.
The models with this status will be run at the next 00:00:00 UTC. After this, the model status will no longer be displayed as ‘NOT INITIATED’ , and it will be other possible values shown below.
The model is ready to be executed, however, it has not yet started the execution. If you reload the status page, after a few minutes, then this status would change to either RUNNING, SUCCESS, or FAILURE.
The model is currently being processed and product recommendations are being computed.
The model has completed the execution successfully and recommendations are available. This can be verified using the Preview option in the Zone details page for this model.
The model processing failed.
If the status for an algorithm is Failure, then the recommendations from its last successful run are used. This means, if the algorithm had passed at least once in the past, then the previous recommendations are shown in the Preview (and on website if if the strategy is published), so that the zone always has some recommendations to show.
Here are some of the actions you can take to identify the reason for failure:
- Check if you can see the preview of the respective model on the zone detail page.
- If the preview is seen, that is, recommendations are shown, it means the model has been executed successfully in the past at least once (in the last 1/7/30 days as per user selection). If the status for an algorithm is FAILURE, then the recommendations from its last successful run are used.
- After checking the preview of the model, hover the mouse cursor over its FAILURE status. A tooltip displays a brief reason for the failure and possible actions you can take, if any.
- If the preview is not seen, that is, recommendations are not shown, then either the model has not been successfully executed even once in the past or there may be an issue in retrieving recommendations. In this case, you can contact Acoustic Support.
- Most of the times, the reason of failure is the unavailability of the data required for model execution for a given time frame when the model was run, that is, every 24 hours (00:00:00 UTC). If the tooltip suggests increasing time frame and if you have already selected a time frame of 30 days, you can contact Acoustic Support.